Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Valentine's Day 2014

The wine crept through my veins. I sat at the kitchen table, glass-in-hand, watching him. Bruno Mars serenaded us. I wiggled my toes, wondering about our future.
"Like this?" He asked, smiling at me. He pointed to my egg.
"Yes," I said, admiring him. His smile radiated an essence that I had only experienced a handful of times. A consciousness easily comparable to the few most important sensations in my life; the light in my niece’s eyes when she recognizes my voice, or the smell of Katie’s Velvet Sugar perfume.  
He finished cooking the bacon, cursed a bit, and turned the oven off. I squirmed in my seat, writhing with contentment. A perfect man, cooking the perfect meal. I felt like a princess. With him, I always felt like a princess. 
As he drowned his eggs in hot sauce, interestingly enough, I imagined spending the rest of my life with him. The scenarios that ran through my mind didn’t scare me - they were comforting. 
I saw a princess, becoming a queen. Thick, brown hair, turning grey. Hospital bills, late nights, dancing in the kitchen, an Aussie, two kids, and a different bouquet of flowers each year. 

I saw everything I’ve ever wanted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment